Caustic soda is one of the common names for sodium hydroxide (NaOH), which is also known as Lye. Names generally come from their chemical identity as sodium hydrate and because it is caustic or corrosive. In pure form, caustic soda is a white wax solid.
It easily absorbs water and forms aqueous solution. Caustic soda or commercially available sodium hydroxide is usually sodium hydroxide monohydrate, NaOH · H2O. Caustic soda is available in powder and liquid form. You can buy caustic soda on https://camachem.com/special-use-chemicals/caustic-soda.html
Key Takeaways: Caustic Soda
- Caustic soda is one of the common names for sodium hydroxide (NaOH).
- It is also known as Lye, although Lye can refer to the potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide.
- Pure caustic soda is sold to make candles or soap.
- Impure caustic soda is found in drain cleaner.
- Because Lye is used to making illegal drugs, it is more difficult to buy in large quantities than in the past. However, small containers are available in stores and online.
How to get caustic soda or lye
It's much harder to get hold of lye than it used to be in the past. The main source of caustic soda was Red Devil Lye, but that product is off the market now. Why is it hard to get lye? The reason is that it can be used to control pH during methamphetamine production.
There are still a few ways to get the chemical. Make sure the product is 100% sodium hydroxide, lye, or caustic soda. This is especially important if you are making food, since an impure product may contain dangerous contaminants. Sources of lye include: